Sorry I’ve been a little MIA lately. I’m getting ready to go full-time at my job, and the transition period has just been a little crazy. Lately, I’ve gotten some emails about good makeup deals, and I wanted to share them with you in case you needed some new things and hadn’t heard.
- ULTA is doing their free 13-piece free gift when you spend at least $19.50 on Ulta branded things. I’ve done it before and usually really liked what I’ve gotten.
- Tarte is running 25% off, but I think it ends today. You may also get an extra 10% if you’re on their mailing list but I’m not totally sure.
What makeup deals are you taking advantage of this weekend?
Makeup is a growing industry, especially as more people start to see it as a hobby rather than something they can’t live without. However, we all have to start somewhere, and with so many different products out there, it can be difficult to figure out what exactly you need in your makeup bag. Here are a few things I think are absolutely essential to any makeup kit.
- Moisturizer – Moisturizer keeps your face healthy and hydrated throughout the day. Not only will this make your skin look great, but it will also keep your face from over-producing oil or drying out, both of which can cause you to break out. There are several types of moisturizer out there. My favorite brand is Formula 10.0.6, because it isn’t expensive and it works really well. I think you can get a good sized bottle for around $7 at Ulta. They have a lot of skin care products that I really enjoy.
- Primer – Primer gives your foundation something to stick to, so you won’t have to worry about reapplying throughout the day. There are tons of primers available, including mattifying, pore-reducing, illuminating, and much more. The type you get will really just depend on the look you want to achieve. I like Maybelline’s Baby Skin primer, because it makes my pores smaller and gives me a smoother finish.
- Foundation – Every girl needs a good foundation, and it doesn’t necessarily have to be expensive. Find one that works for you. Ask someone who works in your favorite makeup store, like Sephora or Ulta, to help you find the right shade.
- Concealer – Concealer is a product of many talents. You can use it to cover blemishes, as an eyeshadow primer, and even to contour. Shimmery highlighters are great, but concealer is a great option for someone just starting out or who wants a more matte look. I’m still trying to find a concealer to swear by, but the general consensus is to get one a shade lighter than your foundation.
- Bronzer – Contouring can be really terrifying, so rather diving in head first, a matte bronzer is a great way to get your feet wet. Bronzer works basically the same way, but since it’s usually in powder form, it’s a little more forgiving than cream contour. I currently just use Ulta’s Matte Bronzer.
- Black mascara – A lot of women I know who wear barely any makeup almost always wear mascara. It lengthens and darkens your eyelashes to make your eyes stand out. I’ve had luck with several different brands, including No. 7, Maybelline, and Ulta, but currently I’m using a MAC mascara that I got as a free sample.
- Setting powder/spray – I didn’t start using this until this year, but I wish I had started a long time ago. Setting powder and spray is similar to primer in that it helps keep your makeup on, so you don’t have to reapply. However, it goes on once you’re done with the rest of your makeup. NYX has a great setting spray that is reasonably priced.
While I have tons of other products in my makeup bag, I definitely think these are the essentials. What are your must-have makeup products?
At my work, we did client audits today and are doing the same tomorrow, so we’ve been verifying all of their information which is extremely tedious and time-consuming, but necessary. Because of that, I felt pretty much brain-dead when I left the office this evening, so I decided to pamper myself a little when I got home. Here, in order, are the steps I took.
- Kick off my shoes, take my bra off, and put on comfy clothes. There’s nothing better in my opinion, than getting out of my bra after being in it all day.
- Take off my makeup. It was pretty warm here today and in my office, so my face felt kind of gross. After I had on more comfortable clothes, I took off my makeup, so my face felt fresh and clean. It also felt like it cooled me off a little.
- Grab a beer and lounge on the couch for a bit. After such a full day, I just needed a moment to not think about anything I had to do. My sweet cousin called me, and we got to catch up for about 20 minutes or so. It was nice.
- Pretty soon, I’ll have to cook dinner, but it’s going to be something super easy that I don’t have to think much about.
- Tonight when I shower, I’m going to use my Ulta Sugar Scrub and just relax in the shower for a bit.
I know it’s nothing fancy, but I’m hoping it’ll help me be rested and ready to go at it again tomorrow. What do you like to do for yourself after a long day?
I think I have a new favorite lipstick. I bought this last week in Lover (kind of a berry pink) and Poet (coral). Yesterday, I put Lover on around 11 AM, and it was still flawless when I took it off at 10:30 PM. It lasted through two meals, and I honestly think it would have lasted all night if I hadn’t taken it off. I never even had to touch it up.
The brush is a little weird at first, but it’s shaped well. The colors are great and pretty true to the color of the tube. I bought mine at ULTA for about $9.50 each, and I’d say they were well worth it. I would definitely recommend these to anyone who needs long-lasting lip colors, and I’ll be checking out more of the shades for sure.
Last week, I purchased some new makeup from Ulta, and it hasn’t come in yet, but I’m very excited for it. In preparation for it to be here later today, I thought I’d let you guys know what I got, so you can hopefully look forward to some good reviews in the next few weeks. I’m very hopeful about the pieces in this shipment, and I think you guys will enjoy some of them, as well!
- Dream Fresh BB Cream 8-In-1 Skin Perfector – I recently did a post about why I prefer to use BB cream instead of foundation in the summer, so I decided to try this one out. I like Maybelline’s Baby Skin Primer, so I think their BB cream might work well for me, too.
- FaceStudio Master Chrome Metallic Highlighter – I ended up getting the NYX Wonder Stick, and it’s okay, but the highlighter isn’t very shimmery. I know some women like a matter highlighter, but I prefer to glow a little more, so I’m thinking this one may be more my speed.
- SuperStay Matte Ink Lip Color – I actually got two of these, Lover and Poet. One of my best friends has Lover, and it looks really good on her. She’s been telling me for weeks how great these are, so I finally caved and bought a couple. I stayed with safer shades, since I was buying online, but it looked like they had a lot of really neat colors that I’d like to try out.
- Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation – I’ve heard some good things about this foundation, so I thought I’d check it out. I like my current one, but I could use one with a little more coverage for some occasions, so hopefully this one will check that box. Plus, I needed to spend a little more to get free shipping and my free gift, so what the heck, right?
- Carli Bybel Deluxe Edition 21 Color Eyeshadow & Highlighter Palette – I’m probably most excited about this. First, it was only $18, and it has a lot of colors that I think I can wear on a daily basis. Plus, it’s just a beautiful palette. I’ve never used any BH Cosmetics stuff, but it looked like it had some good reviews. I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes.
- 4-Piece MAC Gift Set – Because I spent $50 (which is what you need for free shipping, anyways), I got a free 4-piece gift set from MAC. I can’t remember exactly what it featured off the top of my head, and the listing isn’t available anymore, but I know it had a lipstick, a mascara, maybe a primer, and something else. I’ve never tried any MAC products, because they are so expensive, but I’m excited to see if they’re worth the hype.
With a $3.50 off coupon, I got all of this for $55.09, which I personally think is amazing for all of this. I can’t wait to play with it all and let you know how everything is working. What are your favorite pieces from recent beauty hauls?
I haven’t made an Ulta run in a while, and I think I’m starting to have withdrawal symptoms. I’ve been looking through their site and figuring out some new things to try out, so I can make my makeup routine even better. I’ve started making a summer makeup wish list to help me decide what to get next time I go, which will hopefully be this week. I thought I’d share this list with y’all in case anyone else was looking for some new makeup, as well, or to see if any of you had tried these things and could tell me what you thought.
These are the specific products I’ve been looking at, but I’m also on the lookout for some new eyeshadows, and I’m definitely open to suggestions there. What’s on your summer makeup wish list?
If you’re anything like me, occasionally you’re running late and have to rush through your makeup routine. For those special morning, I have a five product routine that I do, so I can still look presentable, but it takes less time than my normal routine. I figured I’m not the only one who has this problem, so I thought I’d share my routine to give other ladies like me a little inspiration.
- I start with my Baby Skin primer. This is a pore eraser, so it gives me a smooth canvas to work with. It also makes my makeup stay on longer, because it gives my foundation something to stick to.
- While my primer is drying, I put on my eyeliner. I use a gel pencil from Ulta and just swipe it under my top lashes and along my bottom eyelid. Then, I smudge it a little if it’s too dark.
- Next, I put on my foundation. I use CoverGirl TruBlend. It isn’t very expensive and it works well for me, but use whatever you like best.
- While my foundation is drying, I use a tinted eye primer to get some color. I really like Ulta’s Tinted Eye Primer, and this one is Satin Blush. It’s not very bright, but it gives my lids a little shimmer, which I like for everyday wear anyways.
- Finally, I contour using a matte bronzer. This helps define my face a little, and for me, it’s more important than blush or highlighter, so I always make sure this gets done.
What is your in a hurry beauty routine? What products help you cut your time down in the morning?