Last week, I purchased some new makeup from Ulta, and it hasn’t come in yet, but I’m very excited for it. In preparation for it to be here later today, I thought I’d let you guys know what I got, so you can hopefully look forward to some good reviews in the next few weeks. I’m very hopeful about the pieces in this shipment, and I think you guys will enjoy some of them, as well!
- Dream Fresh BB Cream 8-In-1 Skin Perfector – I recently did a post about why I prefer to use BB cream instead of foundation in the summer, so I decided to try this one out. I like Maybelline’s Baby Skin Primer, so I think their BB cream might work well for me, too.
- FaceStudio Master Chrome Metallic Highlighter – I ended up getting the NYX Wonder Stick, and it’s okay, but the highlighter isn’t very shimmery. I know some women like a matter highlighter, but I prefer to glow a little more, so I’m thinking this one may be more my speed.
- SuperStay Matte Ink Lip Color – I actually got two of these, Lover and Poet. One of my best friends has Lover, and it looks really good on her. She’s been telling me for weeks how great these are, so I finally caved and bought a couple. I stayed with safer shades, since I was buying online, but it looked like they had a lot of really neat colors that I’d like to try out.
- Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation – I’ve heard some good things about this foundation, so I thought I’d check it out. I like my current one, but I could use one with a little more coverage for some occasions, so hopefully this one will check that box. Plus, I needed to spend a little more to get free shipping and my free gift, so what the heck, right?
- Carli Bybel Deluxe Edition 21 Color Eyeshadow & Highlighter Palette – I’m probably most excited about this. First, it was only $18, and it has a lot of colors that I think I can wear on a daily basis. Plus, it’s just a beautiful palette. I’ve never used any BH Cosmetics stuff, but it looked like it had some good reviews. I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes.
- 4-Piece MAC Gift Set – Because I spent $50 (which is what you need for free shipping, anyways), I got a free 4-piece gift set from MAC. I can’t remember exactly what it featured off the top of my head, and the listing isn’t available anymore, but I know it had a lipstick, a mascara, maybe a primer, and something else. I’ve never tried any MAC products, because they are so expensive, but I’m excited to see if they’re worth the hype.
With a $3.50 off coupon, I got all of this for $55.09, which I personally think is amazing for all of this. I can’t wait to play with it all and let you know how everything is working. What are your favorite pieces from recent beauty hauls?
I haven’t made an Ulta run in a while, and I think I’m starting to have withdrawal symptoms. I’ve been looking through their site and figuring out some new things to try out, so I can make my makeup routine even better. I’ve started making a summer makeup wish list to help me decide what to get next time I go, which will hopefully be this week. I thought I’d share this list with y’all in case anyone else was looking for some new makeup, as well, or to see if any of you had tried these things and could tell me what you thought.
These are the specific products I’ve been looking at, but I’m also on the lookout for some new eyeshadows, and I’m definitely open to suggestions there. What’s on your summer makeup wish list?
Let me start this by saying, sorry for not posting this at my normal time yesterday. I seem to have found myself with a lot on my plate this week, and it totally slipped my mind. However, I have recently discovered the joys of setting powder and wanted to share some of those with you today. I have been using Ulta’s Mineral Setting Powder, which is $14 for .26 oz, and I really like it. I don’t have to use much; I just get a little on my brush and swirl it around the lid before brushing it onto my face. So, here are some of my favorite things about it:
- It helps my makeup stay on a lot longer during the day. Before setting powder, a lot of my makeup would wear off by about lunch time, so I’d spend the rest of the day looking like I just rolled out of bed, even though I had spent the time to do my makeup in the morning. Now, my makeup stays on at least twice as long, and I can pretty much get through the work day without having to worry about if my makeup is still on or not.
- My eye makeup doesn’t melt. I run into a problem a lot where my eye makeup tends to melt a little and run down into my eyes, which as you can imagine, doesn’t feel great. By dusting a little setting powder over my eyelids when I’m done with my eye makeup, I haven’t run into this problem nearly as much. It still occasionally happens on warmer days, but I’m much better off now.
- It tones down my highlighter. I have a highlighter that is very bright and makes me look far too shiny. However, I don’t like to waste things, so I keep using it. I’ve found that my setting powder balances it out quite a bit and gives me a more matte finish while still letting me get the benefits of highlighting my face.
If you haven’t already, I highly recommend looking into a setting powder, because it honestly changed my life. It’s lightweight, and except for all the benefits mentioned, I don’t even notice I’m wearing it. What’s your favorite setting powder?
I posted a few days ago about the freebies Ulta was giving away with purchase, so in true me fashion, I went up there and bought some makeup wipes and a couple of lip glosses, so I could get my free bag. It is so cute, and I got some really great stuff in it.
Look how cute! Even a couple of the palettes match! I wasn’t expecting to like the pink this much, because I’m not really a pink girl, but I really like it.
So, what did I get? Well, inside this adorable bag was:
- Blush/bronzer palette
- Eyeshadow palette with 6 adorable spring colors (I can’t wait to try these)
- Blush brush
- Lipstick in Pink Chocolate
- Tinted Eye Primer in Peach Glow
- Liquid Illuminator in Northern Lights (I’ve already tried it and I’m in love)
- Plush Drama Volumizing Mascara
- Clear Brow Shaping Gel
- Juice Infused Lip Oil in Coconut (it smells amazing)
- Dual-pencil sharpener
- Lip Liner Pencil in Bittersweet
- Mattifying Face Primer (always up for a good primer sample)
- Eyeliner Pencil in Blackout
- $5 off $15 coupon
One thing I love about Ulta’s gift bags is that they always give me things that are about to be in season. So far, I can’t think of anything I’ve gotten in one of their bags that I’ve been disappointed with. I haven’t been able to try everything out yet, but so far, my favorite thing is the liquid illuminator. It gives me a good highlight without being too bright, and it goes on really easily. Did anyone else go grab a freebie bag from Ulta? What was your favorite part of it?
So, I’m a huge basketball fan. I love the Kentucky Wildcats, and I watch a lot of NBA with my husband. For my fellow Cats fans, you know this season isn’t going as well as our standard, and it’s been a little frustrating. But, I still like my team and wouldn’t trade them for the world. Cal is the best coach we could ask for, and I think he’s doing exactly what he needs to be doing.
With that being said, they lost today, and rather than heading home where my husband is playing Call of Duty with some of his friends, I headed to Ulta for some much needed retail therapy. They had a 20% off coupon, so I got some good stuff that I needed anyways. I got some Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil shampoo and conditioner, which I’ve heard great things about and am excited to try. I got a Maybelline Baby Face Pore Eraser, because I’m still searching for a primer that I like and won’t break the bank. Finally, I got an Essence baked highlighter. I’m excited to try it out, so I’ll let you know how it goes.
Who’s your team? What’s your favorite way to cope with a loss? Let me know, and good luck to your teams this weekend!
This weekend, I took advantage of a sale Ulta was having and bought a palette from Tarte that includes a blush, highlighter, four eyeshadow colors, and an eyeliner. It’s travel-sized, which was great because we spent the weekend with my husband’s parents in their cabin, so I didn’t want to take a ton of makeup with me. This palette has now become one of my favorite things.
The blush is a peachy pink color that looks great on most skin tones. It is pretty pigmented, so just get a little on your brush. The highlighter is a great pearlescent beige. I just wish the slot was a little bigger. I also love the eyeshadow shades because they combine well or look great on their own. I haven’t tried the eyeliner yet, because I forgot my brush, but I’m excited to try a powder eyeliner.
Tarte is usually an expensive brand, so I’ve been hesitant to try it, but I’m glad I did. It has definitely moved to my list of prestige brands I don’t mind paying for. Plus, I love that this palette comes in such a cute little compact! What are some prestige brands you’ve fallen for?
My husband keeps asking me what I want for Christmas, and I’m the worst because I honestly have no idea. The only things I wanted I gave on a list to both of our parents, because they tend to press the issue a little more. It has, however, gotten me thinking about my makeup wish list, which I would give my husband, but he doesn’t quite understand the makeup world yet, although he is learning. It’s really sweet.
One thing I’ve been looking for is a quality highlighter. I like my BECCA Backlight Priming Filter, so I imagine I would like their highlighter, too, but I haven’t tried it yet. I also saw that Ulta has Stila highlighters on sale today for 50% off, and I’ve had good results with Stile products before. I generally just use Ulta’s brand highlighters, which work okay, but I want to change it up a little, and I’m not sure which products I should look at. The problem is, I don’t really know what I want out of a highlighter that I’m not getting; I think it’s just something that I’ll know it when I see it.
Another thing I want, which I can’t find in any store, is to be better at applying my eyeliner. I do fine with everyday wear, but I can’t figure out how to do those really glamorous wings that everyone posts pictures of. It’s probably got some to do with the kind of eyeliner I wear, because I mostly use pencils or gel pencils, and I think you have to use liquid eyeliner to get that. Maybe one day I’ll find a liquid eyeliner that doesn’t terrify me.
Finally, I’d love some mascara that doesn’t flake or clump. I don’t even wear it most days, because it gets in my eyes. I have a No. 7 mascara that is the best I’ve found so far. The flaking is minimal, and it clumps way less than most of my other mascaras, but it would still be nice if I could put some on without the fear of having it flake down into my eyes. Usually ones that don’t flake end up clumping, and the ones that don’t clump will flake.
If anyone has any suggestions for my makeup wish list, I would love to hear them. Be one of Santa’s helpers this year and help me mark off my list. What’s on your makeup wish list?