Last week, I purchased some new makeup from Ulta, and it hasn’t come in yet, but I’m very excited for it. In preparation for it to be here later today, I thought I’d let you guys know what I got, so you can hopefully look forward to some good reviews in the next few weeks. I’m very hopeful about the pieces in this shipment, and I think you guys will enjoy some of them, as well!
- Dream Fresh BB Cream 8-In-1 Skin Perfector – I recently did a post about why I prefer to use BB cream instead of foundation in the summer, so I decided to try this one out. I like Maybelline’s Baby Skin Primer, so I think their BB cream might work well for me, too.
- FaceStudio Master Chrome Metallic Highlighter – I ended up getting the NYX Wonder Stick, and it’s okay, but the highlighter isn’t very shimmery. I know some women like a matter highlighter, but I prefer to glow a little more, so I’m thinking this one may be more my speed.
- SuperStay Matte Ink Lip Color – I actually got two of these, Lover and Poet. One of my best friends has Lover, and it looks really good on her. She’s been telling me for weeks how great these are, so I finally caved and bought a couple. I stayed with safer shades, since I was buying online, but it looked like they had a lot of really neat colors that I’d like to try out.
- Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation – I’ve heard some good things about this foundation, so I thought I’d check it out. I like my current one, but I could use one with a little more coverage for some occasions, so hopefully this one will check that box. Plus, I needed to spend a little more to get free shipping and my free gift, so what the heck, right?
- Carli Bybel Deluxe Edition 21 Color Eyeshadow & Highlighter Palette – I’m probably most excited about this. First, it was only $18, and it has a lot of colors that I think I can wear on a daily basis. Plus, it’s just a beautiful palette. I’ve never used any BH Cosmetics stuff, but it looked like it had some good reviews. I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes.
- 4-Piece MAC Gift Set – Because I spent $50 (which is what you need for free shipping, anyways), I got a free 4-piece gift set from MAC. I can’t remember exactly what it featured off the top of my head, and the listing isn’t available anymore, but I know it had a lipstick, a mascara, maybe a primer, and something else. I’ve never tried any MAC products, because they are so expensive, but I’m excited to see if they’re worth the hype.
With a $3.50 off coupon, I got all of this for $55.09, which I personally think is amazing for all of this. I can’t wait to play with it all and let you know how everything is working. What are your favorite pieces from recent beauty hauls?
I haven’t made an Ulta run in a while, and I think I’m starting to have withdrawal symptoms. I’ve been looking through their site and figuring out some new things to try out, so I can make my makeup routine even better. I’ve started making a summer makeup wish list to help me decide what to get next time I go, which will hopefully be this week. I thought I’d share this list with y’all in case anyone else was looking for some new makeup, as well, or to see if any of you had tried these things and could tell me what you thought.
These are the specific products I’ve been looking at, but I’m also on the lookout for some new eyeshadows, and I’m definitely open to suggestions there. What’s on your summer makeup wish list?
I honestly cannot believe May is already here, which means summer is just around the corner. My inner child is very excited, although summer isn’t the same for adults. Anyways, one thing that I think needs mentioning as summer approaches is the transition into summer makeup. As much as we don’t want to admit it, women do sweat, and not all makeup is built to stand up to that. When it starts getting warmer, I like to transition into using a BB cream instead of a full foundation, and here’s why:
- It’s not heavy on my skin. BB cream (or CC cream, because I tend to use Aveeno’s CC cream) is usually a sheer to medium coverage that is more meant to even things out than actually cover things up, so it’s much lighter than a full coverage foundation would be.
- It usually has an SPF built in. I’m terrible about putting sunscreen on, even though I know I should be putting it on every day, so having a BB cream with SPF already built in is really important for me.
- It works with my skin even when I vary in color a little. I’m not one to get very tan (I’m actually really pale most of the year), but I will occasionally get a little color, so it’s nice that I don’t have to change foundations. Since BB cream is a lighter coverage, the color doesn’t really show up as much, so no matter where I am on my very limited spectrum, it still works for me.
- It moisturizes your skin and evens it out at the same time. The sun (and sunburns) can really dry out your skin, so it’s important to keep it hydrated. This means drinking water regularly, too, so it can be hydrated from the inside, as well.
I will say, I’m fairly lucky in the fact that (knock on wood) my complexion is pretty good, so I don’t break out or anything too often, which is why I can get away with wearing just a BB cream instead of foundation in the summer. However, it may not be something you’re comfortable with, and that’s okay. There’s no rule saying you have to switch to something lighter in the summer, but it works for me and I just wanted to share. What’s your favorite summer makeup tip?