Hey everyone! I know I’ve been a little MIA lately, and I’m sorry for that. I wanted to just give y’all a quick life update. I’m adjusting to being full time at my job and playing volleyball two nights a week on top of trying to have a normal social life. Woe is me, right? No, I’m actually happier than I’ve ever been.
But more to the point, I got a new tattoo! It’s my second one, and it’s on the inside of my right bicep. I got a raven, and my tattoo artist did such an amazing job. It’s not super symbolic, but I love fantasy and mystery, both of which tend to rely on raven symbolism, and I like to think of it as the wisdom that you gain when bad things happen to you.
What are your tattoos or if you got one, what would it be?
For my birthday, I decided to get myself a FabFitFun box. I hadn’t tried it before, but I actually really enjoyed it. I got several really great full-sized products and the cutest towel and train case. One of the things I got in it was this ISH Lip Statement Palette.
Now, I don’t wear a ton of lipstick, which is kind of why I think this is great. It’s got basically any color I could ever need. The shades are matte, which is nice because I can either wear them alone or with a gloss. I played with a few this morning, and the coverage is good. I can’t speak to the length of wear yet, because I haven’t worn them for a full day.
However, I’m planning to wear one out when I have a girls’ night with my coworkers tonight. Which shade do you think I should wear out tonight? I’m leaning towards something in the middle row, but I haven’t totally decided yet.
Happy 4th of July everyone! I got a pedicure with one of my friends yesterday, and I always forget how amazing they are until I get one again. Pedicures are a great way to treat yourself and give yourself just like an hour of you-time where you don’t have to stress about anything else. Plus, my feet always feel way better after I have one.
Besides making my feet look cute, they always feel better, too. All of the dead skin gets scraped off, and they are usually much smoother. I also seem to get quite a few minor in-grown toenails (gross, I know), and they hurt, so I like getting pedicures because they can get them out easier than I can. My legs also get exfoliated, and I get to sit in one of those massage chairs and get a little back rub.
One of my favorite things about getting a pedicure is trying out different colors. I feel okay being a little more adventurous with my toenail colors, because I can hide them with shoes or socks if I don’t like something. I can’t do the same with my fingernails. This time, I got a really cute light pink color from OPI called “Mimosas for the Mr. and Mrs.”. It was a little more nude than I first expected, but I absolutely love it. I’m honestly considering going back soon to get it on my fingernails.
What’s your favorite color that you’ve ever gotten on your nails? I tend to stick with pinks, because I’m not adventurous in the slightest.
BB creams are a great way to get a polished look without doing much work. Depending on the kind you get, they can be a moisturizer, primer, sunblock, and foundation all in one. During my last Ulta trip, I picked this one up for summer, and I have to say, I’ve liked it a lot so far.
It’s only $9 and has more coverage than I would have expected from a BB cream. Lately, I’ve been using it when I run errands or am running late in the morning. It allows me to finish my makeup in about 5 minutes, and I don’t have as many extra steps as I normally do. The different benefits it includes are:
- Evening your skin tone (Primer/Foundation)
- Blurring imperfections (Primer)
- SPF 30
- Hydrating (Moisturizer)
- Smoothing (Primer)
It also avoids oils and heavy ingredients, so your face will feel lighter and fresher, which I’m all about in the summer. If you’re looking for a BB cream, I would say this is a great option to try out.
However, I do see a couple drawbacks with this one. For one thing, there are only three shades available. In no world do I think that’s enough. The coverage isn’t heavy, so I think there’s a little wiggle room with the shade colors, but the shades available aren’t going to work for every woman. I highly recommend testing it out before you buy a shade.
Also, the coverage doesn’t seem to be very long lasting. Even with setting powder, I feel like it’s faded quite a bit after a few hours. I’m going to try it out with a different setting spray (NYX) and see if I get different results, but as of now, I’m having trouble keeping it on.
What’s your favorite BB cream? How do you use it?
Makeup is a growing industry, especially as more people start to see it as a hobby rather than something they can’t live without. However, we all have to start somewhere, and with so many different products out there, it can be difficult to figure out what exactly you need in your makeup bag. Here are a few things I think are absolutely essential to any makeup kit.
- Moisturizer – Moisturizer keeps your face healthy and hydrated throughout the day. Not only will this make your skin look great, but it will also keep your face from over-producing oil or drying out, both of which can cause you to break out. There are several types of moisturizer out there. My favorite brand is Formula 10.0.6, because it isn’t expensive and it works really well. I think you can get a good sized bottle for around $7 at Ulta. They have a lot of skin care products that I really enjoy.
- Primer – Primer gives your foundation something to stick to, so you won’t have to worry about reapplying throughout the day. There are tons of primers available, including mattifying, pore-reducing, illuminating, and much more. The type you get will really just depend on the look you want to achieve. I like Maybelline’s Baby Skin primer, because it makes my pores smaller and gives me a smoother finish.
- Foundation – Every girl needs a good foundation, and it doesn’t necessarily have to be expensive. Find one that works for you. Ask someone who works in your favorite makeup store, like Sephora or Ulta, to help you find the right shade.
- Concealer – Concealer is a product of many talents. You can use it to cover blemishes, as an eyeshadow primer, and even to contour. Shimmery highlighters are great, but concealer is a great option for someone just starting out or who wants a more matte look. I’m still trying to find a concealer to swear by, but the general consensus is to get one a shade lighter than your foundation.
- Bronzer – Contouring can be really terrifying, so rather diving in head first, a matte bronzer is a great way to get your feet wet. Bronzer works basically the same way, but since it’s usually in powder form, it’s a little more forgiving than cream contour. I currently just use Ulta’s Matte Bronzer.
- Black mascara – A lot of women I know who wear barely any makeup almost always wear mascara. It lengthens and darkens your eyelashes to make your eyes stand out. I’ve had luck with several different brands, including No. 7, Maybelline, and Ulta, but currently I’m using a MAC mascara that I got as a free sample.
- Setting powder/spray – I didn’t start using this until this year, but I wish I had started a long time ago. Setting powder and spray is similar to primer in that it helps keep your makeup on, so you don’t have to reapply. However, it goes on once you’re done with the rest of your makeup. NYX has a great setting spray that is reasonably priced.
While I have tons of other products in my makeup bag, I definitely think these are the essentials. What are your must-have makeup products?
I always knew concealer was good for diminishing the look of acne, but recently I’ve learned about some other ways that concealer can be used. I honestly had no idea that concealer could be used for so much, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. It is definitely something everyone should keep in their makeup bag for these three reasons:
- Concealer can cover a multitude of “sins” if you will. Redness, blemishes, and dark circles can all be minimized with a little concealer. I wouldn’t put it on your whole face, but used sparingly it can be super helpful.
- It can be used as a matte highlighter. Sometimes you don’t want your face to be shiny, but you still want to contour. In these instances, concealer is a great option, especially if you use concealer that is one shade lighter than your normal face makeup.
- Eyeshadow primer. Putting a little concealer on your lids before your eyeshadow will give it something to stick to and keep it from melting into the creases. Getting my eyeshadow to stay on is probably one of my biggest makeup struggles, so I may give this a shot rather than continuing to buy separate eyeshadow primers.
I don’t have a concealer recommendation yet, because I haven’t tried too many out. What’s your favorite concealer? I’ll probably head to Ulta sometime this week and try to find one for me.
At my work, we did client audits today and are doing the same tomorrow, so we’ve been verifying all of their information which is extremely tedious and time-consuming, but necessary. Because of that, I felt pretty much brain-dead when I left the office this evening, so I decided to pamper myself a little when I got home. Here, in order, are the steps I took.
- Kick off my shoes, take my bra off, and put on comfy clothes. There’s nothing better in my opinion, than getting out of my bra after being in it all day.
- Take off my makeup. It was pretty warm here today and in my office, so my face felt kind of gross. After I had on more comfortable clothes, I took off my makeup, so my face felt fresh and clean. It also felt like it cooled me off a little.
- Grab a beer and lounge on the couch for a bit. After such a full day, I just needed a moment to not think about anything I had to do. My sweet cousin called me, and we got to catch up for about 20 minutes or so. It was nice.
- Pretty soon, I’ll have to cook dinner, but it’s going to be something super easy that I don’t have to think much about.
- Tonight when I shower, I’m going to use my Ulta Sugar Scrub and just relax in the shower for a bit.
I know it’s nothing fancy, but I’m hoping it’ll help me be rested and ready to go at it again tomorrow. What do you like to do for yourself after a long day?