For my birthday, I decided to get myself a FabFitFun box. I hadn’t tried it before, but I actually really enjoyed it. I got several really great full-sized products and the cutest towel and train case. One of the things I got in it was this ISH Lip Statement Palette.
Now, I don’t wear a ton of lipstick, which is kind of why I think this is great. It’s got basically any color I could ever need. The shades are matte, which is nice because I can either wear them alone or with a gloss. I played with a few this morning, and the coverage is good. I can’t speak to the length of wear yet, because I haven’t worn them for a full day.
However, I’m planning to wear one out when I have a girls’ night with my coworkers tonight. Which shade do you think I should wear out tonight? I’m leaning towards something in the middle row, but I haven’t totally decided yet.
If you haven’t guessed by the title, today is my birthday. I’m 24 today, which is great because everyone likes me again (because nobody likes you when you’re 23). In celebration, I thought I’d tell you guys 24 things about me which you may not know.
- I have two cats, Gale and Tony.
- I work at a marketing firm as a content manager (I love my job).
- I have one brother and the two cutest nephews (they’re 4 and twins).
- I have written two children’s books. Neither are published yet, but I’m working with my cousin to get illustrations done, so we can hopefully have at least one published in the next year.
- I grew up riding horses and was nationally ranked at one point.
- I’m from South Carolina, but I now live in Kentucky.
- I majored in English in college.
- I love to watch basketball. I prefer college, but the NBA is growing on me. The Kentucky Wildcats are my favorite team.
- I got married almost a year ago, and I’m so thankful to have such an amazing husband.
- I don’t want kids right now, but I may change my mind at some point.
- I really want a dog; my husband and I are thinking about a basset hound.
- Macaroni and cheese is my favorite food.
- I like to cook and bake, but I don’t bake as often as I’d like.
- I am attempting to take up cross stitching, although after recently discovering Louie’s Loops, I may want to switch that to crocheting.
- I’ve been playing volleyball since I was about 6 years old but didn’t play in college.
- Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.
- I like to play video games; Skyrim and Dragon Age are my favorites.
- I like to read fantasy and mystery books. Most recently, I read the Lord of the Rings series.
- Mary Higgins Clark is probably my favorite author. I’ve read most of her books. She writes mysteries.
- I hate going to the dentist, but I don’t mind the doctor. I don’t think it’s a fear so much as I didn’t like the one I went to growing up, so by default I’m skeptical of all of them.
- I got married at the same place I had both of my high school proms.
- I don’t habitually bite my nails, but sometimes I do it when I’m anxious.
- John Mulaney is my favorite comedian. If you haven’t seen his Netflix specials, check them out because they’re amazing.
- I am not fluent in Spanish, but I can speak quite a bit. I went to Spain right after finishing my last college semester of Spanish and was able to converse much better than I expected.
If you read all the way to the end, thank you! I hope you enjoyed learning a little bit more about me! Here’s to 24 being a great year!
Happy 4th of July everyone! I got a pedicure with one of my friends yesterday, and I always forget how amazing they are until I get one again. Pedicures are a great way to treat yourself and give yourself just like an hour of you-time where you don’t have to stress about anything else. Plus, my feet always feel way better after I have one.
Besides making my feet look cute, they always feel better, too. All of the dead skin gets scraped off, and they are usually much smoother. I also seem to get quite a few minor in-grown toenails (gross, I know), and they hurt, so I like getting pedicures because they can get them out easier than I can. My legs also get exfoliated, and I get to sit in one of those massage chairs and get a little back rub.
One of my favorite things about getting a pedicure is trying out different colors. I feel okay being a little more adventurous with my toenail colors, because I can hide them with shoes or socks if I don’t like something. I can’t do the same with my fingernails. This time, I got a really cute light pink color from OPI called “Mimosas for the Mr. and Mrs.”. It was a little more nude than I first expected, but I absolutely love it. I’m honestly considering going back soon to get it on my fingernails.
What’s your favorite color that you’ve ever gotten on your nails? I tend to stick with pinks, because I’m not adventurous in the slightest.
BB creams are a great way to get a polished look without doing much work. Depending on the kind you get, they can be a moisturizer, primer, sunblock, and foundation all in one. During my last Ulta trip, I picked this one up for summer, and I have to say, I’ve liked it a lot so far.
It’s only $9 and has more coverage than I would have expected from a BB cream. Lately, I’ve been using it when I run errands or am running late in the morning. It allows me to finish my makeup in about 5 minutes, and I don’t have as many extra steps as I normally do. The different benefits it includes are:
- Evening your skin tone (Primer/Foundation)
- Blurring imperfections (Primer)
- SPF 30
- Hydrating (Moisturizer)
- Smoothing (Primer)
It also avoids oils and heavy ingredients, so your face will feel lighter and fresher, which I’m all about in the summer. If you’re looking for a BB cream, I would say this is a great option to try out.
However, I do see a couple drawbacks with this one. For one thing, there are only three shades available. In no world do I think that’s enough. The coverage isn’t heavy, so I think there’s a little wiggle room with the shade colors, but the shades available aren’t going to work for every woman. I highly recommend testing it out before you buy a shade.
Also, the coverage doesn’t seem to be very long lasting. Even with setting powder, I feel like it’s faded quite a bit after a few hours. I’m going to try it out with a different setting spray (NYX) and see if I get different results, but as of now, I’m having trouble keeping it on.
What’s your favorite BB cream? How do you use it?
Makeup is a growing industry, especially as more people start to see it as a hobby rather than something they can’t live without. However, we all have to start somewhere, and with so many different products out there, it can be difficult to figure out what exactly you need in your makeup bag. Here are a few things I think are absolutely essential to any makeup kit.
- Moisturizer – Moisturizer keeps your face healthy and hydrated throughout the day. Not only will this make your skin look great, but it will also keep your face from over-producing oil or drying out, both of which can cause you to break out. There are several types of moisturizer out there. My favorite brand is Formula 10.0.6, because it isn’t expensive and it works really well. I think you can get a good sized bottle for around $7 at Ulta. They have a lot of skin care products that I really enjoy.
- Primer – Primer gives your foundation something to stick to, so you won’t have to worry about reapplying throughout the day. There are tons of primers available, including mattifying, pore-reducing, illuminating, and much more. The type you get will really just depend on the look you want to achieve. I like Maybelline’s Baby Skin primer, because it makes my pores smaller and gives me a smoother finish.
- Foundation – Every girl needs a good foundation, and it doesn’t necessarily have to be expensive. Find one that works for you. Ask someone who works in your favorite makeup store, like Sephora or Ulta, to help you find the right shade.
- Concealer – Concealer is a product of many talents. You can use it to cover blemishes, as an eyeshadow primer, and even to contour. Shimmery highlighters are great, but concealer is a great option for someone just starting out or who wants a more matte look. I’m still trying to find a concealer to swear by, but the general consensus is to get one a shade lighter than your foundation.
- Bronzer – Contouring can be really terrifying, so rather diving in head first, a matte bronzer is a great way to get your feet wet. Bronzer works basically the same way, but since it’s usually in powder form, it’s a little more forgiving than cream contour. I currently just use Ulta’s Matte Bronzer.
- Black mascara – A lot of women I know who wear barely any makeup almost always wear mascara. It lengthens and darkens your eyelashes to make your eyes stand out. I’ve had luck with several different brands, including No. 7, Maybelline, and Ulta, but currently I’m using a MAC mascara that I got as a free sample.
- Setting powder/spray – I didn’t start using this until this year, but I wish I had started a long time ago. Setting powder and spray is similar to primer in that it helps keep your makeup on, so you don’t have to reapply. However, it goes on once you’re done with the rest of your makeup. NYX has a great setting spray that is reasonably priced.
While I have tons of other products in my makeup bag, I definitely think these are the essentials. What are your must-have makeup products?
My husband and I have recently started trying to lose weight, which means counting calories and hitting the gym, or in my case, playing a lot of sand volleyball. However, me being self-conscious, I really don’t like to leave the house without makeup, even if I’m just going to the gym and won’t see anyone I know. Because of this, I’ve kind of been struggling with whether it actually is bad to wear makeup to the gym, and here’s what I’ve decided:
No, it isn’t, on most occasions. If you’re going to shower pretty immediately after you workout (as you should and I’m guilty of not always), then no, go ahead and wear makeup. You’re going to wash it and the dirt and sweat off when you get home anyways, so it shouldn’t bother your skin.
Now, I will say the kind and how much makeup you wear is important. I’ve mentioned before that I like to wear bb cream in the summer, and I think it’s something that’s good for the gym, as well. It gives me a layer of coverage, but it also moisturizes my skin and most of them provide some UV protection, which is great for me playing sand volleyball. I would also recommend waterproof eye makeup, as you don’t want it to drip down into your eyes while you’re sweating (or “glistening” as my mom likes to say”).
If you are comfortable enough to go to the gym without makeup on, I salute you. I hope to be one day, but I’m not there yet.
PS: I apologize if this seems a little unorganized or like I’m rambling. One of my very good friends is moving tomorrow, and we’re having lunch in a bit, and I’m having trouble keeping my thoughts organized.
I always knew concealer was good for diminishing the look of acne, but recently I’ve learned about some other ways that concealer can be used. I honestly had no idea that concealer could be used for so much, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. It is definitely something everyone should keep in their makeup bag for these three reasons:
- Concealer can cover a multitude of “sins” if you will. Redness, blemishes, and dark circles can all be minimized with a little concealer. I wouldn’t put it on your whole face, but used sparingly it can be super helpful.
- It can be used as a matte highlighter. Sometimes you don’t want your face to be shiny, but you still want to contour. In these instances, concealer is a great option, especially if you use concealer that is one shade lighter than your normal face makeup.
- Eyeshadow primer. Putting a little concealer on your lids before your eyeshadow will give it something to stick to and keep it from melting into the creases. Getting my eyeshadow to stay on is probably one of my biggest makeup struggles, so I may give this a shot rather than continuing to buy separate eyeshadow primers.
I don’t have a concealer recommendation yet, because I haven’t tried too many out. What’s your favorite concealer? I’ll probably head to Ulta sometime this week and try to find one for me.