Hey everyone! I know I’ve been a little MIA lately, and I’m sorry for that. I wanted to just give y’all a quick life update. I’m adjusting to being full time at my job and playing volleyball two nights a week on top of trying to have a normal social life. Woe is me, right? No, I’m actually happier than I’ve ever been.
But more to the point, I got a new tattoo! It’s my second one, and it’s on the inside of my right bicep. I got a raven, and my tattoo artist did such an amazing job. It’s not super symbolic, but I love fantasy and mystery, both of which tend to rely on raven symbolism, and I like to think of it as the wisdom that you gain when bad things happen to you.
What are your tattoos or if you got one, what would it be?
I love makeup as much as the next girl, but sometimes it’s so nice to just be able to go a whole day without putting on makeup. Thankfully, my job allows me to work from home two days each week, so I usually don’t have to put makeup on during at least one of those days.
I don’t like to go without makeup in public, because I’m still working on loving myself more. However, not having makeup on does keep me feeling less greasy throughout the day, and my face doesn’t feel as heavy, especially during the summer. If I have to wear makeup, I at least try to use BB cream whenever I can, since it’s a lot lighter than foundation.
When do you like to go without makeup? How do you minimize the feel of makeup when you have to wear it?
Sorry I’ve been a little MIA lately. I’m getting ready to go full-time at my job, and the transition period has just been a little crazy. Lately, I’ve gotten some emails about good makeup deals, and I wanted to share them with you in case you needed some new things and hadn’t heard.
- ULTA is doing their free 13-piece free gift when you spend at least $19.50 on Ulta branded things. I’ve done it before and usually really liked what I’ve gotten.
- Tarte is running 25% off, but I think it ends today. You may also get an extra 10% if you’re on their mailing list but I’m not totally sure.
What makeup deals are you taking advantage of this weekend?
For my birthday, I decided to get myself a FabFitFun box. I hadn’t tried it before, but I actually really enjoyed it. I got several really great full-sized products and the cutest towel and train case. One of the things I got in it was this ISH Lip Statement Palette.
Now, I don’t wear a ton of lipstick, which is kind of why I think this is great. It’s got basically any color I could ever need. The shades are matte, which is nice because I can either wear them alone or with a gloss. I played with a few this morning, and the coverage is good. I can’t speak to the length of wear yet, because I haven’t worn them for a full day.
However, I’m planning to wear one out when I have a girls’ night with my coworkers tonight. Which shade do you think I should wear out tonight? I’m leaning towards something in the middle row, but I haven’t totally decided yet.
If you haven’t guessed by the title, today is my birthday. I’m 24 today, which is great because everyone likes me again (because nobody likes you when you’re 23). In celebration, I thought I’d tell you guys 24 things about me which you may not know.
- I have two cats, Gale and Tony.
- I work at a marketing firm as a content manager (I love my job).
- I have one brother and the two cutest nephews (they’re 4 and twins).
- I have written two children’s books. Neither are published yet, but I’m working with my cousin to get illustrations done, so we can hopefully have at least one published in the next year.
- I grew up riding horses and was nationally ranked at one point.
- I’m from South Carolina, but I now live in Kentucky.
- I majored in English in college.
- I love to watch basketball. I prefer college, but the NBA is growing on me. The Kentucky Wildcats are my favorite team.
- I got married almost a year ago, and I’m so thankful to have such an amazing husband.
- I don’t want kids right now, but I may change my mind at some point.
- I really want a dog; my husband and I are thinking about a basset hound.
- Macaroni and cheese is my favorite food.
- I like to cook and bake, but I don’t bake as often as I’d like.
- I am attempting to take up cross stitching, although after recently discovering Louie’s Loops, I may want to switch that to crocheting.
- I’ve been playing volleyball since I was about 6 years old but didn’t play in college.
- Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.
- I like to play video games; Skyrim and Dragon Age are my favorites.
- I like to read fantasy and mystery books. Most recently, I read the Lord of the Rings series.
- Mary Higgins Clark is probably my favorite author. I’ve read most of her books. She writes mysteries.
- I hate going to the dentist, but I don’t mind the doctor. I don’t think it’s a fear so much as I didn’t like the one I went to growing up, so by default I’m skeptical of all of them.
- I got married at the same place I had both of my high school proms.
- I don’t habitually bite my nails, but sometimes I do it when I’m anxious.
- John Mulaney is my favorite comedian. If you haven’t seen his Netflix specials, check them out because they’re amazing.
- I am not fluent in Spanish, but I can speak quite a bit. I went to Spain right after finishing my last college semester of Spanish and was able to converse much better than I expected.
If you read all the way to the end, thank you! I hope you enjoyed learning a little bit more about me! Here’s to 24 being a great year!
Happy 4th of July everyone! I got a pedicure with one of my friends yesterday, and I always forget how amazing they are until I get one again. Pedicures are a great way to treat yourself and give yourself just like an hour of you-time where you don’t have to stress about anything else. Plus, my feet always feel way better after I have one.
Besides making my feet look cute, they always feel better, too. All of the dead skin gets scraped off, and they are usually much smoother. I also seem to get quite a few minor in-grown toenails (gross, I know), and they hurt, so I like getting pedicures because they can get them out easier than I can. My legs also get exfoliated, and I get to sit in one of those massage chairs and get a little back rub.
One of my favorite things about getting a pedicure is trying out different colors. I feel okay being a little more adventurous with my toenail colors, because I can hide them with shoes or socks if I don’t like something. I can’t do the same with my fingernails. This time, I got a really cute light pink color from OPI called “Mimosas for the Mr. and Mrs.”. It was a little more nude than I first expected, but I absolutely love it. I’m honestly considering going back soon to get it on my fingernails.
What’s your favorite color that you’ve ever gotten on your nails? I tend to stick with pinks, because I’m not adventurous in the slightest.
BB creams are a great way to get a polished look without doing much work. Depending on the kind you get, they can be a moisturizer, primer, sunblock, and foundation all in one. During my last Ulta trip, I picked this one up for summer, and I have to say, I’ve liked it a lot so far.
It’s only $9 and has more coverage than I would have expected from a BB cream. Lately, I’ve been using it when I run errands or am running late in the morning. It allows me to finish my makeup in about 5 minutes, and I don’t have as many extra steps as I normally do. The different benefits it includes are:
- Evening your skin tone (Primer/Foundation)
- Blurring imperfections (Primer)
- SPF 30
- Hydrating (Moisturizer)
- Smoothing (Primer)
It also avoids oils and heavy ingredients, so your face will feel lighter and fresher, which I’m all about in the summer. If you’re looking for a BB cream, I would say this is a great option to try out.
However, I do see a couple drawbacks with this one. For one thing, there are only three shades available. In no world do I think that’s enough. The coverage isn’t heavy, so I think there’s a little wiggle room with the shade colors, but the shades available aren’t going to work for every woman. I highly recommend testing it out before you buy a shade.
Also, the coverage doesn’t seem to be very long lasting. Even with setting powder, I feel like it’s faded quite a bit after a few hours. I’m going to try it out with a different setting spray (NYX) and see if I get different results, but as of now, I’m having trouble keeping it on.
What’s your favorite BB cream? How do you use it?